Monday, October 15, 2007

Kyaw Thu


Kyaw Thu is a famous actor and director in Burmese film industry. I don't remember if he ever sang a song in a movie or not. I only remember Pyay-Nyein sang a song in "Nay-thar-de-nay La-thar-de-nya". Kyaw Thu became famous with the movie "Ma-ye-maung-Lay". The fashion trend of wearing a short Lone-gyi style was set by Kyaw Thu. Although Kyaw Thu's mentor was Kyaw Hein initially, later Kyaw Thu had exceeded Kyaw Hein in everyway. (Personally, I dislike Kyaw Hein for all the big talks and over acting and lack of originality --- he is just a copy cat of India Movie Star "Ah-mi-tar-ba-jyan".) Even though I was not crazy about Kyaw Thu, I have always given credits for his acting. I used to make fun of his smile because when he smile, his lips become uneven and tilted on one side. (Well, nobody is perfect.) The first time that Kyaw Thu got my attention is probably his first short story illustration movie, played on Burmese Television Program. It was too long ago to remember the whole story and even forgot the title now, but I knew that directing quality was pretty good. It is a comedy story about the love and relationship between a father and a son (I guess). When I found out that that movie was directed by Kyaw Thu, I was really impressed. Later, I have heard that he has directed a lot of movies, I have never seen any of them. When I heard about his effort in organizing a group in helping community by arranging the funerals for people who cannot afford to go through the cost of the funeral, it really inspired me. I was surprised to hear recently when he join with Zarganar in supporting the needs of the protest monks, I was thrilled. Now, I am reading news stating that Kyaw Thu and his wife have been arrested for donating alms for the protest monks. I felt my heart sink heavily. In some news, it is stated that the arrest has not been confirmed. I would love to see the little white dove freely fly into the blue sky. I wish Metta of Buddha, Dhamma, Sanga and people like us will protect Kyaw Thu and his family.

the image is from www.shanland.org and www.MandalyGazette.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That television movie was based on a story of Ba Ba Htin Linn, who is one of my favorite burmese authors. The title of the story is "Falling head over heels in love with sa-ya-ma". (I didn't watch that television movie though). I love Ba Ba Htin Linn's short stories so much. I used to wait and read them every month in English Guardian monthly magazine back in 1980s when I was a Uni student. I believe these stories are originally written in English because I never see a translator's name. I have been trying to find his short stories on the internet but no luck yet.

Moung Yin Aw said...

Ko Kyaw Thu is a rare and admirable Burmese actor who dares to break through some unreasonable and uncertain traditions of Burma in regard to funeral service. He and his wife are so brave to do so otherwise it brings exceptional kindness to majority of Burmese poor people. Actually, it is in exact accordance with Buddha's way. Besides, I appreciate their stand of loving truth.