Friday, December 26, 2008

Zaw Win Htut

Zaw Win Htut (aka Nyi Htut) is one of the most influential artists in Burmese music industry. At a time, he was known to be the artist with the highest pay for the concerts. As far as to the best of my knowledge, ZWH has a very unique story of success and life. One of the biggest factors of his success is his band "Emperor" which consists of a very dedicated musicians and his song writers: Thukhamain Hlaing, Minn Chit Thu, Win Min Htwe, and Saw Khu Sae. ZWH has a very special tie with his band, that fact of which is a very differentiating factor from other Burmese artists at that time. To be honest, I listen lots of ZWH songs frequently for a long time, but I was never a fan of ZWH. I cannot find any dislike towards his personal life or artist life, it just doesn't click. In fact, I have a lot of respect for his hard work, persistence to find his own style and passion, dedication towards his family. Out of all his songs, I love "Than-tha-yar-sann-yay" the most. It is one of the songs that has unusal and rare approach in lyric subject. I still vividly remember that, at the first emperor concert that I went to, ZWH sang my favorite song, and during the half way of the song, he went to the side of the stage and pick up his daughter on his shoulder and finish the song. It was very touching and very memorable to me. The most played and well known song that he came out with might be "Law-ka-hin-lin-pyin". There are so many lists of songs that are well known if I have to make a list.

A lot of my friends are ZWH die hard fans. As for me, in a sense, I am more of Emperor band's fan. May be I am more of Zaw Myo Htut's fan, one of the best lead guitar players, who is ZWH's brother. Anyway, I guess everybody knows how ZWH didn't break through with his early records and when he was well known, his first hit was actually "The Best of Zaw Win Htut". It was hard for the older audience to accept their sort of goth and rock long hair black appearance. ZWH's mother is a famous folk song singer of her time, known as Htar. ZWH's life story and his success is very inspiring. It almost reminds me of the resemblance to the "Osbournes", who has a more dramatic version and has more extreme turns. Basically, they started from the bottom to the hall of fame while their marriage life is still intact. They also establish the rebellious turn of the music industry, sort of Gothic and rock (ZWH is more famous for introducing heavy metal style). I don't know if he has been singing policy songs or not since I have been loosing track listening his songs. For the famous and influential artist, they have to bound to give in to the certain request if they want to keep their success intact. Nevertheless, I hope that ZWH will find a way to built or re track the own tune originality age in Burmese music industry as everyone is hoping to see, as he has been dreaming and working hard to leave his legend.

Listen Here:
Than-tha-yar-sann-yay: #13 song http://www.myanmarmp3.net/album.aspx?AlbumID=334

No comments: