Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Playboy Than Naing


Than Naing is one of the pioneers of rock trend in Burma. His band name is "Playboy". His wife Pearl sang most duets with him, and boy, is he lucky??? Because Pearl is one of the female singers whom I adore. Not only she is smart and pretty, but she also has a beautiful voice and a unique singing style. When Than Naing came back and rebuilt his playboy band, on the list of the band members, Pearl's name is gone missing and I have a wishful thinking that her name was there. To me, TN and P are the couple of 'sun and moon; gold and emerald' as in Burmese saying. They are close relatives and are also closely related to the famous singer Sein Lwin. I am not "playboy band" die hard fan, but I remember repeatedly listening to their songs for a long long time. "Nya-mway-pann" is one of the songs that any group of guitar players anywhere in Burma play every night. Almost all of his songs are copies but he has got a taste and I should thank him for his contribution in introducing international or western rock taste to us. Than Naing has a very unique voice: soft and has some element of surprising vibrations and turns in his singing style. I have been to their concerts, I mean the old playboy band, for a couple of times. I have seen him jumping and running wildly on stage. I wasn't too impressed, partly because back then we were not too exposed to western culture and flow of music industry trends. There are so many significant songs such as "Strawberry lover", "Main-ma" (I guess that's the name of title, but not too sure), Suu, oh --- so many to list. He has a very successful time when he sang duets with L. Kun Yee. The most memorable moment relating Than Naing in my life is meeting him unexpectedly at a small convenient store on Boundary Road. It was a late evening, but it has been raining heavily so it was really dark. I run into the store to get some snack and I met Than Naing there in the store purchasing something. I still regret that I didn't go to him and tell him that I like listening his songs. I came back out of the store and I noticed Pearl in one of the cars parking in front of the store. Boy! Isn't she lovely???? I have never seen any celebrity with such a smooth and vibrant skin tone outside ever. She should have been shooting those soap or lotion commercials. Anyhow, I thought that they are the most matching couple. Now, I have heard Than Naing singing again with his newly reformed band. He sings okay although it is not as the same scale as he used to sing. With his busy life and passage of time, it is forgivable. He looks healthy, happy, and enjoying his life. Oh, my favorite Than Naing's song is "Kaung-laung-lay-twe-myee-ne-pyee". Enjoy his songs! (I am so awefully sorry --- that is Aung Ko Latt's song which he worte. Aung Ko Latt and Than Naing were in the same era and boy!! either I must have been too sleepy while writing about him or still thinking about Pearl.)

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYtkXBw_4r8
Remix Duet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ado8J6abYcs

2 comments:

Dr. Music said...

please advise who are the band members in the new playboy band? we play a lot of playboy songs in our band called SmoothStream Orchestra in New Zealand.

Moon said...

Here is the quote from interview with PBTN. "Are all the old members back again?
Most of them. Ko Kyaw Naing (bass guitarist), Ko Kyaw Min (second lead), Zaw Win Shein (drums) and Tin Oo Thaung (keyboard). And we also have a new member, Academy award winner, Zaw Myo Htut, who used to play in Medium Wave, will play lead guitar. The singers are myself, Zaw Win Shein and Aye Maung Gyi and Terry." and the link to his interview is here:
http://www.myanmar.gov.mm/myanmartimes/no158/myanmartimes8-158/Timeouts/03.htm