Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nay Myo Say

I have never known much about him. I heard that his mom is well known in the movie industry. I also heard when he opened Mr. Guitar, I was like --- aww! he stole my dream and really envious of him on account of doing everything that I would like to do. Now that he is doing painting as his profession, I have died with jealousy and barely made it back to life. Some guys have all the luck --- as they say. Well, but he is The Nay Myo Say and I am just a little critter ---sort of like a cricket? Well, enough of self not-so-dignifying confessions. Let's focus on just him.

I used to teasingly named him "a shorty", nothing personal --- just life had nothing better to do and giving people nicknames when the telephone lines are not working or the summer is just too hot to go out to a tea shop or any shop to hang out with friends. There were no cell phones, no Internet, no mp3 players except Walkmans that is if anyone can still recall what the Walkman is. There were only a good old tape recorders and limited access to VCR for variety entertainment. I cannot focus on Nay Myo Say because thinking about him is making me relive funny old days and clueless and naive cold nights. Again, let's focus on just him.

I thought "Pyay Pyay" sang " Kyae Kyawe Nya Tine Su Taung Mae (Wishing upon every star falling nights)" --- not sure --- may be not, it is just his own song ---( but I liked that song instantaneously on the first hearing because of the dreamy lyrics. It is a bit cheesy but I needed cheese and it was perfect. That was how I hear his name --- the person who wrote the song. Not many people know him back then.

Then, he came out onto public television with his solo record --- I forgot the title of the album, "Little Lane"?? (But is that Ko Hmoe?). I always got confuse between two of them on who did sang which song. I remember seeing him on TV frequently singing 4 or 5 of his songs. They were okay, not too memorable but were simple and entertaining. I cannot remember the songs much anymore but I also don't remember the negative feelings about them. It was good, simple, and easily forgettable. He sang " Every star falling night" on television --- and I can still recite all the lyrics of that song until now --- the only unforgettable NMS song to me.

Nay Myo Say voice quality is average, not super clear, but has his own distinct style and features. Since he is more experience in song writing, of course he knows how to hit his notes very well. I met him uncountable times as the wedding singer. Other than that, that was all in my memory or so far I can recall.

Listen to his song here:
"Fallen Star Night": www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ruUJXRlsRw
"Lann Kalay" (yes, that was his song not Ko Hmoe) www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVV7DgRi0VQ

1 comment:

thoughtswmay said...

Have you ever visited Mr. Guitar? While hearing my mom reminisce about the past, I'm intrigued to what it looked and felt like.